Monday, October 13, 2008

Pumpkin Polenta with Chicken Sausages--with guests!

This is a Rachel Ray recipe from a cookbook I got in a family Christmas exchange. It's lucky I got this cookbook that way, because I never would have purchased it myself due to my vague dislike of R. Ray. I find her a bit abrasive. Even the way her recipes are written is annoying. But I have found some really good, quick recipes in here that I've turned to again and again.

The recipe isn't on her website, but it's pretty simple. You make quick-cooking polenta using chicken stock and milk as the liquids, and then add a can of pumpkin puree and a half-cup of asiago cheese when the polenta thickens up. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. The sausages are the packeged, pre-cooked flavored chicken sausages you can get in the meat section. I made a variety: sweet apple maple, italian with peppers, and sundried tomato basil.

I also served this with a basic romaine salad and some leftover garlic bread.

Results:
Me: I know I like this recipe. Pumpkin in anything=good. I'd make it again.
Jeff: Ditto. Loves the sausages especially.
Charlotte: Not a fan of anything like polenta or mashed potatoes, so she skipped that part. Loved the sausage, and as always is a big fan of salad.
AND THE GUESTS:
Mom Deur: I won a battle getting her to try polenta. She was reluctant, and reserved in her praise, but managed to choke it down. :)
Dad Deur: Liked the Italian-style sausages the best. I don't think he ate much polenta.

Verdict:
Make it again for the Tigs, but probably not for the Deur family.

2 comments:

niobe said...

I can't imagine how anyone could dislike polenta. Especially pumpkin polenta.

Dale Deur said...

Polenta - OK. Pumpkin - unnecessary.