Sunday, October 26, 2008

Butternut Squash-Carrot Bisque with Oatmeal Walnut Soda Bread

This meal was essentially convenience food--the bisque was a package of chopped veggies and herbs from Hy-Vee that you throw in the slow cooker with chicken broth, then puree and add milk. I added some leftover roasted carrots to make it squash-carrot bisque. And I wanted bread to go with the soup, but didn't have time to run to the store, and didn't have the time to make a yeast bread, so I made this recipe. I didn't have cake flour, so I just used another half-cup of regular flour. I think it turned out fine. I'd use this bread recipe again as a go-to quick bread.

Results:
Me: I've had better squash bisques, but for convenience, this was pretty easy.
Jeff: Liked it, got excited about the bread ("This is like the bread I'd get at the shop in Ireland!")
Charlotte: Proclaimed the soup "mmm...yummy!" but only ate two bites. Ate about the same amount of bread, too.

Verdict: A mixed bag.

No comments: