Thursday, June 18, 2009

Kale, Summer Sausage, and White Bean Soup

I don't know about you, but there's nothing I want more when it's 90 degrees outside and 100% humidity than a nice, steaming hot bowl of soup. Mmm. Refreshing!

So, this wasn't the ideal recipe for this time of year, but the planets aligned and I ended up getting some yummy summer sausage at a local store and I remembered this recipe that I had been wanting to try for a while. Here's my kind of haphazard recipe:

1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups chicken broth
1 ring summer sausage, sliced into rounds about 1/2 inch wide
Two bunches of kale, chopped or torn into pieces
1 can white beans (I used great northern), drained
1 T salt (but I like things salty, so perhaps this should read to taste)
1 t pepper
1 T fresh dill or sage, chopped

Chuck it all in a slow cooker. I cooked it on low for about 5 hours and it was perfect. Sorry there's no picture! We ate it all up too quickly.

No comments: