Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Horseradish Potato Salad


Just in time for the fourth of July, here's a potato salad recipe that will shake things up a little bit. I got it from Smitten Kitchen, a cooking blog that's inspired me many times. The original recipe is here.
I made a couple of alterations to the original. I didn't have chives, so I doubled the dill (also in part because I'm infatuated with dill lately, and I have a dill plant growing steps outside my back door). I used the full cup of sour cream AND added a couple tablespoons of mayo (NOT miracle whip, but real mayo) because I like my potato salad to be nice and creamy.
A caveat: this recipe is not a traditional, sweetish, mustardy potato salad. If you bring this to a cookout and it's the only potato salad there, people might be disappointed--not because it's not delicious (it is!) but because it's not representative of what most people think of when they think potato salad. This salad is really zippy, and would make a great side with some German brats and kraut.

No comments: