Sunday, May 17, 2009

Dutch Oven Pancake--now with photos!


I am digesting this as we speak. And it is good.

I based this recipe off a couple different ones I found online. I've seen them variously referred to as German Pancakes, Dutch Baked Pancakes, and Oven Pancakes. I like my moniker, personally.

The recipe is super easy, which is why I've already baked, photographed, eaten and blogged about them before 8:30 a.m. Although the fact that Sam woke up at 5:30 a.m. might have something to do with it too.


Here's what you need:

4 eggs
1 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt
2/3 cup milk
2/3 cup flour
2 T. butter, softened

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Beat eggs in a bowl until blended. Add all the other ingredients and mix until smooth. (I used a whisk, but you could use a mixer as well. 7 a.m. is just a little too early for an electric mixer in my house). Grease two 9-inch round cake pans. Pour half of the batter into each.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake an additional 8-10 minutes. Slide warm pancakes onto a plate and serve with your choice: syrup, powdered sugar, fresh fruit, etc.

Results:
Jana: These are really delicious, more crepe-like than pancake.
Jeff: Nom nom.
Charlotte: Not a huge fan, but then she'd already had a yogurt this morning.

The verdict: Make it again!